Saturday, July 12, 2008

An update from my 2nd trip

Well – I loved Santorini so much that I’ve gone back. And again I stayed in Imerovigli at Xenones Filotera. There are a few tips that I wanted to get written down again before I forget them! (They are as much for me as for you!)

This trip was 3-10 July 2008 and it is the very beginning of high season.

Tomatoes: Don’t miss out on these. Santorini has some really amazing fresh tomatoes.
Restaurant: Try Captain Dimitri’s Taverna Tel: +30 22860 82210 at the Amoudi port in Oia. It’s a long walk down – and back up again (300 steps!) but well worth it. It’s highly recommended and a lot of local Greeks eat there so it really is the authentic choice. The restaurant is owned by Dimitri and his Canadian wife (So no language problems here if you speak English!)

If it’s not too windy – head over to Pyrgos and follow the signs to Franco’s cafe (not to be confused with Franco’s bar in Fira). Franco’s cafe is part of the castle at the top of Pyrgos. A completely new way to enjoy the sunset and some very light snacks and fantastic drinks. Try their spiced tea!

The bus is an excellent way to get around and costs only €1.40 for a single journey. Compare that to anywhere from €8-€15 for a taxi.

Scooters: You’ll need to have a motorcycle/scooter license in order to rent a scooter in Santorini – but many places have 4 wheel ATV’s for rental as well. These go for €25 for a day or €30/24 hours if you keep them for several days.

In general scooters and ATVs can be pretty dangerous especially at night – the roads are very narrow and the busses and the taxis make it pretty crazy!

And I’m sure that I’ll think of more things – but at least I got the essence of my trip so that I can remember again for next time!

No comments: